Find out everything you need to know about electric boating. Electric Ship Facilities is an integrator for your one-stop integrated solution. We would like to answer the 6 most frequently asked questions about electric boating, the boating range, electric propulsion, charging an electric boat and the cost.
1 ) Why electric boating? Electric boating is not only a lot more comfortable as you are cruising silently and in the cleanest way possible with no emissions. An electric boat is also a more environmentally friendly choice as electric boats have lower overall well-to-wheels emissions than the average boat with a combustion engine. No emissions released into the immediate environment result in a more liveable, healthier environment for everyone. Want to know more? Read "Why go electric?”
Not to mention the performance of an electric boat; quiet, smooth, and fast acceleration. It is sensational to drive an electric boat. Electric boats are very efficient with benefits such as regeneration and greater connectivity. It is best to experience the improved boating quality for yourself if you are considering buying a new electric boat.
2) Do I need a special connection to charge? No new infrastructure is needed to charge an electric boat. You can charge an electric motorboat with shore power that is available in the harbors and at municipal moorings. In addition, for some electric boats, it is possible to fast charge them, this can be done with the same charging station as charging an electric car such as the charging stations located on the canals.
To connect the boat to shore power, to a (fast) charging station, or with the power from your house, different types of connectors are needed. These connectors are supplied with the boat.
3) How long can I boat on a full battery? We take the electric boats of Natural Yachts for which Electric Ship Facilities provides the total solution as an example. We have listed a number of boating profiles.
The boating range depends on the displacement and the speed of the boat. The faster you go, the faster the cruising range diminishes because more energy is consumed. The maximum speed is equal to the hull speed for displacement boats.
- Long boating range Do you want to make longer trips (occasionally)? Or is there not always a shore power connection available?
Advice for a 12 m 100% electric boat such as the Northman 1200 Electric: upgrade to a LiFePo4 battery pack of 63 kWh. Boating range at speed @ 7km approx 15 h, range 100 km.
- Extra-long boating range Do you like to spend the night in nature, after which you can continue your trip with your electric boat the next day?
Advice for a 12 m 100% electric boat such as the Northman 1200 Electric: upgrade to a LiFePo4 battery pack of 84 kWh. Boating range at speed @ 7 km approx. 20 h, range 140 km.
- Emission-free and independent of shore power Would you like to boat emission-free and independent of shore power? The Methanol fuel cell range extender is the solution if you want to boat without emissions, quietly, and comfortably. The Methanol fuel cell produces green energy on board where and when you need it. This energy can be used for electric propulsion but also to charge the battery pack. Is this something for you? More information about the fuel cell can be found here.
- Independent of shore power – Hybrid If you are only occasionally cruising a very long distance and need a lot of energy? Or would you like to have energy available as a backup? Then a DC/DC diesel generator can also be a solution.
4) How long will it take for my battery pack to be fully charged? How quickly the battery pack is recharged depends on the size of the battery pack and the charger. If we take the example of a battery pack for an 'extra long boating range' as described above, you can assume that in a harbor or mooring with a 16 Amp connection the battery pack will be fully recharged within one night.
5) How much does electric boating cost?
An electric boat requires much less energy compared to a boat with a conventional drivetrain. Powering an electric boat is a more convenient and cheaper option. Generally, the operating costs are one-third of those of a diesel-powered boat. In addition, an electric boat has lower maintenance costs.
6) How fast does an electric boat go? The speed of an electric boat is determined by the hull speed for a displacement boat. Did you know that it is also possible to go fast with an electric boat? Natural Yachts the sister company of Electric Ship Facilities offers the Eelex 8000, this is a 100% electric high-performance tender. Electric boating with the Eelex 8000 is sensational! The top speed of this electric boat is 65 km/h, the cruising speed is 37 km/h and in addition, this electric fast tender has an impressive acceleration of 0-37 km/h in 4.2 seconds. Do you like speed or for example water skiing behind a boat? With the Eelex 8000 this is now also possible with 100% electric power.
Interested in electric boating? Do you want to make the switch to electric boating? There is an electric boat suited for everyone. Electric boating is not only comfortable, you can also enjoy the improved boating quality, boating without impacting the environment, and the advantage of lower costs and less maintenance.